Toss trash and recycling into your bin.
All of your trash and recyclables can be placed in your one big bin together! Don’t worry, our materials recovery facility will help sort out the recyclables and ensure that everything that can be recycled has the opportunity to reach its highest potential. You can throw all of your regular trash into your bin and not have to worry about whether something is or isn’t recyclable. The only things we ask you to keep out are household hazardous waste and food scraps because they could contaminate recyclables and cause damage to our environment. Afterall, we believe in recycling because we want to keep Placer beautiful for generations to come.
Plastic – Toss it in!
- It takes 10 recycled water bottles to make enough plastic fiber to make a new t-shirt.
- It takes 14 recycled water bottles to create enough fiberfill insulation for a ski jacket.
- It takes 114 recycled water bottles to make enough fiberfill insulation for a sleeping bag.
- Whether it is a plastic beverage bottle, a broken Tupperware container, or that never ending plastic packaging you had to cut through to get to the tiny little product in the middle – toss it in your bin and we will make sure it finds its higher purpose.
Glass – Toss it in!
- Glass is 100% recyclable and can be recycled endlessly without loss in quality or purity.
- In 2017, 39.1% of beer and soft drink bottles were recovered for recycling, according to the U.S. EPA
- Over a ton of natural resources are saved for every ton of glass recycled.
- So go ahead and toss in (or perhaps place in carefully!) all of your glass bottles. We encourage you to keep your jars, though. They make a great alternative to plastic storage containers, are dishwasher friendly, and keep this beautiful plant of ours in top shape.
Cardboard – Toss it in!
- 90% of products are shipped in cardboard containers.
- On average, a typical household will throw away up to 13,000 pieces of cardboard a year.
- In the US, 850 million tons of paper and cardboard are thrown away each year, the equivalent of one billion trees.
- The good news is, recycling old cardboard into new cardboard only takes 75% of the energy it takes to manufacture new cardboard. You are already helping us save trees when you toss in your cardboard.
Cans – Toss them in!
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to listen to a full album on an iPod.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a computer for 3 hours.
- Aluminum is the most valuable recyclable material; however, the US throws away nearly $1 billion worth of aluminum cans each year. Not in Placer – throwing your cans in your regular bin means you are making sure they get recycled. So please go ahead and toss them in.
Trash – Toss it in!
Standard trash will go through the sorters and into the landfill if that is where it belongs. Examples of trash that cannot be recycled, composted or otherwise repurposed include:
- Chip and snack bags
- Plastic wrappers
No need to separate – you can throw all of this in your bin, and we will make sure it ends up in properly disposed of in the landfill where it belongs, after all the recyclable materials have been recovered.
Now that you are clear on what goes in, be sure to learn more about what stays out! Check our KEEP OUT page for information on the types of waste that should not be put in your bin.
Need more information about who your waste hauler is? Check the WHERE page to click on the area you live in to find out more about the services provided.