Reduce your waste and compost for your community!
Composting at home is the process of recycling organic material into rich soil. It’s great for the garden and easy!
Tips for composting:
- Place fruit and vegetable scraps, coffee grounds, and eggshells into a compost container or start a pile in your yard.
- Mix the food scraps with your yard trimmings
- Water your pile, keeping it damp but do not overwater
- Turn your pile once a week
- When your pile no longer gives off heat and becomes dry, brown and crumbly it is ready
- Pro tips
- Place a small container in a cool, dry place in your house for disposal convenience
- Do not compost any meat, fats, oils, or grease
Why is waste reduction important?
It may seem obvious, but the most effective way to reduce waste is to not create it. Creating new products requires a lot of materials and energy. By reusing old materials, we can protect our environment while saving money.
Two simple ways you can reduce waste immediately:
1. Americans throw away 100 billion plastic bags annually. Show you care. Use reusable bags.
2. Americans only recycle about 23 percent of plastic bottles. We can do better. Go reusable!